The Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit organization under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The organization, funded primarily through the support of individual member businesses was formed as the Hazleton Board of Trade in 1892 "For the purpose of advancing the commercial, professional, industrial, civic and general interests of the Greater Hazleton Area."
The mission of the Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce is to contribute to its members' business success by providing them valuable information, services and networking opportunities, and by taking active measures to help them improve the business climate and quality of life in Greater Hazleton.
The philosophy of the Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce is to do what is necessary to accomplish the mission of taking a leadership role in the enhancement of business and the quality of life in the Greater Hazleton Area through business development, economic, civic, cultural and educational programming.
Chamber goals include:
- To act as a centralized and accessible source of business, legislative and community information for Chamber members, and to enable communication between members and area business, community and governmental organizations.
- To provide Chamber members with a wide range of value-added products and services, including member discounts, selected products and business management education and training.
- To provide Chamber members with a variety of quality business networking opportunities.
- To improve the business and economic climate of Greater Hazleton by addressing issues related to economic development, promoting the business community and facilitating partnerships among business, community and governmental organizations.
- To enhance the physical, social, educational and cultural elements of Greater Hazleton.
In addition to the Chamber of Commerce itself, the organization consists of a number of affiliates formed to address specific community issues. These vary from wholly owned to totally independent organizations.
The Chamber is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors who are responsible for establishing policy, and Executive oversight. The administration of the organization is directed by the President, who is totally responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization.